Thursday, January 28, 2010

The power of work

When my husband was in a medical residency program and I was a busy mother expecting my fourth child and the oldest was 5, I became very ill for a couple of days. I remember laying on the bed, little children played around me, and I wanted to badly to get up and change a diaper. Not only to change a diaper but I wanted to get up and hold my children, help them and attend to their needs. I am grateful it was only a couple of days that I was so ill, but when I had the strength to get out of bed, I realized so strongly what a blessing it is to have the strength to attend to my children and love and serve them. Sometimes we get tired, another dirty diaper, another mess, and we feel so taxed and life is so hard, or this is too much. And we get feeling sorry for ourselves, we throw a little pity party. But this experience changed my perspective and made me think of a great statement by President David O. Mckay

"Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that the power to work is a blessing, that the love of work is success." - David O. McKay (David O. McKay, Pathways to Happiness (1957), 381.)

1 comment:

  1. MOM! Great job blogging! I've actually never heard this story before. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete